img_20160910_182558

Fabricating a new hand setting stem for a vintage pocket watch

So i finally got around to playing around on the lathe (that i purchased over a year ago)

I have had a pocket watch for a while that needed a new stem, this was the ideal project to put the the theory of using a lathe into practice and try and create the┬ámissing piece – knowing what it it should look like i measured the areas on the watch and had a go!

This obviously is not a balance staff but it was my real first attempt at an actual repair using a watchmakers lathe… i am really happy with how it has turned out and look forward to learning more on the lathe when i get a chance..

obviously this post is useless without pictures..

Start off with a bit of blued steel

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

 

Turn the steel down to the size required to go through the watch

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

yep..

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

you can see the it poking through
IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

 

filed down the end to size and checked the friction fit of the the wheel

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

using the indexes on the late i worked out the 4 positions required to get a perfect square and started filing on each side.

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

progressing

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

onto the next side..

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

 

keep on measuring until it was the correct size for the watches key

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

 

once happy i cut off the part from the remaining stock

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

 

requires a bit of polishing to get the edges crisp

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg

the finished part with the attached wheel on it

IMG_20160910_174639.jpg